This video talks about how to check cognitive functions by Dr. K K Aggarwal, Padma Shri Awardee, Editor-in-chief IJCP Publications. He explains that 5 things need to be checked:
- Immediate memory: While talking suddenly divert the topic and ask him what they were talking about.
- Calculation: Ask him reverse calculations. A person with cognitive impairment won’t be able to do the calculations.
- Language: Let the patient read or write something. He might not read or write correctly in case of cognitive impairment.
- Reasoning: Ask simple questions to check whether he can reason out or not or ask about relations, etc.
- Disorientation: The patient with cognitive impairment will not know the directions of the familiar places.
Dr. Aggarwal will explain these 5 points of cognitive impairment in patients and how to diagnose it.