Q1. What is a gynaecologist?
Ans. A gynecologist is a surgeon who specializes in the female reproductive system, including cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries, uterus, vagina and vulva.
Q2. What do they do ?
Q3. What kind of test does a Gynaecologist do?
Ans. Various test done by a gynaecologist are as follows:
Q4. How Gynaecologist test ?
In general examination, height, weight, and blood pressure of the patient will be checked. Doctor also checks for any other health problems
Q5. When to see a Gynaecologist ?
Ans. A gynecologist can treat a girl or a woman at any age
It is recommended that an individual should start visiting a gynecologist from the age of 13 to 15 years
Q6: Is shaving necessary for a Gynaecologist visit ?
Ans. No, it is not essential to shave or wax around the vagina before a gynecologist visit. However, maintain a proper vaginal hygiene by using a gentle soap.
Q7. Should I visit a Gynaecologist during my period ?
Yes, you can visit a gynaecologist during periods.
Q8. What to Expect on your first Gynaecologist visit?
The first visit to gynaecologist involves a talk between you and your doctor including personal questions
Conversations that take place during your visit will be kept confidential for patients who are older than 18 years
However, for patients younger than 18 years, some information may be shared with parents or guardians, if the doctor feels the need to do it
Following steps will be done on your first visit:
1. What is a gynecologist? Available at: https://www.healio.com/news/hematology-oncology/20120331/what-is-a-gynecologist
2. What Does a Gynaecologist Do on Your First Visit? Available at:https://healthengine.com.au/info/your-first-gynecologist-visit
3. Your First Gynecologic Visit. Available at: https://www.acog.org/patient-resources/faqs/especially-for-teens/your-first-gynecologic-visit
4. Can You Go to a Gynecologist Appointment When You’re on Your Period?Available at: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-you-go-to-a-gynecologist-appointment-when-youre-on-your-period/
5. 10 things to know before your first gynaecologist appointment.Available at: http://www.aoafamily.com/blog/10-things-to-know-before-your-first-gynecologist-appointment/
Dr. Anita Kant is Chairman & Head, Department of Gynae & Obstetrics, Asian Institute of Medical Science, Faridabad. She has a special interest in obstetrics and gynae plastic surgery. She concentrates on achieving the best outcomes for the couples in the form of the news of positive pregnancies. Dr. Anita has a medical experience of about 38 years, with thousands of successful deliveries. She has also done her MBBS in the year 1980 from Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sewagram (MGIMS). She has also done her MD (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) in the year 1983 from Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sewagram (MGIMS).