iModerna Inc., a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) technology, attempted to produce an efficacious COVID-19 vaccine named mRNA-1273. This vaccine is also a leading contender in the race and has shown promising results in the clinical trials.
Country of origin: Massachusetts, USA
• December 21 2020
The first dose of Moderna vaccine has been administered to a nurse at a hospital in Connecticut.
• January 8 2021
Moderna vaccine is approved in the UK.
Few days later it is also approved in the US .
The vaccine is not yet approved in India though.
Moderna: F.D.A. Authorizes Moderna Vaccine for Emergency Use, Adding Millions of Doses to U.S. Arsenal
● The move will make Moderna’s vaccine the second to reach the American public, after the one by Pfizer and BioNTech, which was authorized just one week ago.
● It comes as the virus continues to rage across the United States, which set another record for daily cases on Friday with over 251,000 and has surpassed a total of 17 million known cases.
Latest Update (8th December): The COVID-19 vaccine produced by Moderna produces antibodies that can last for at least three months, study states.
● The study was published by researchers at the National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
● They collected data of the the immune response of 34 adult participants, both young and old, from the first stage of a clinical trial.
● The NIAID with Moderna co-developed the vaccine.
● The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Latest Update (1st December): Final results confirm Moderna vaccine to be 94% effective.
● Final results from the trials of Moderna’s vaccine against Covid-19 confirm it has 94% efficacy and nobody who was vaccinated with it developed severe disease, said the company, kickstarting the approval process with regulators around the world.
● The US company is submitting the data to the regulators in the US, Europe and the UK for an emergency licence. Moderna Inc. expects the Food and Drug Administration in the US to consider it at its meeting on 17 December.
● The UK has bought 7m doses of the vaccine, 5m on the day Moderna announced its interim result of 94.5% efficacy, and a further 2m last week. But supplies of the vaccine to the UK are not expected until March.
Previous phase trials results:
● After the first vaccination, antibody responses were higher with higher dose
● After the second vaccination, serum-neutralizing activity was detected
● Systemic adverse events were more common after the second vaccination,
Phase 2 clinical trial updates:
● 94.5% efficacy rate
● strong success rates
● Moderna is looking to initiate a Phase III clinical trial in late July 2020
● Moderna completed enrollment of the Phase 3 study of mRNA-1273.
● post vaccination can be a low-grade fever
● experiencing a pain in the arm, wherein the vaccine was injected.
● a bit of fatigue and experienced tiredness post injection.
The Moderna vaccine has successfully met its primary efficacy endpoint in the first interim analysis of its Phase 3 COVE study, as reported on 16th November, 2020. 95 participants with reported cases of COVID-19 were included in the first interim study. The Phase 3 research met statistical requirements with 94.5 percent vaccine efficacy (p <0.0001). Moderna plans to apply to the United States FDA for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and expects the EUA to be focused in the coming weeks on a final review of 151 cases and a median follow-up of more than 2 months.