1. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a vital risk factor for coronary artery disease (CAD).
2. Advance CKD is associated with high CV mortality related to CAD and nonatherosclerotic cardiac disease.
3. LAI recommends using statins in patients with CKD stage 3 above the age of 40 years.
4. LAI also recommends cautious initiation of statins in statin-naïve patients on dialysis.
5. Individual’s predicted longevity has to be kept in mind while initiating statin therapy in end-stage renal disease (ESRD).
6. Dose reduction with a decline in glomerular filtration rate.
7. Drug interactions with fibrates and anti-rejection medications.
8. Frequent monitoring for side effects is required.
9. Role of PCSK9 inhibitors: promising, but more data is needed.
Dr. Sonika Puri is a Assistant Professor in the Division of Nephrology at Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick and was Assistant Professor at M.S. Ramaiah Medical College in Bangalore, India. She is a member of the American Society of Nephrology; Lipid Association of India; Association of Vascular Access and Interventional Renal Physicians; and Fellow of American Society of Nephrology. She is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi. She has published extensively on postpartum acute kidney injury, central venous stenosis, and antibody mediated rejection. She has also co-authored guidelines on management of Dyslipidemia in Indian patients with chronic kidney disease. She is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Filter out the noise and nurture your inbox with health and wellness advice that's inclusive and rooted in medical expertise.
Medtalks is India's fastest growing Healthcare Learning and Patient Education Platform designed and developed to help doctors and other medical professionals to cater educational and training needs and to discover, discuss and learn the latest and best practices across 100+ medical specialties. Also find India Healthcare Latest Health News & Updates on the India Healthcare at Medtalks
Please update your details