1. Ischemic heart disease (IHD) is the most important cause of disease burden and premature mortality in India.
2. The IHD burden is increasing, in contrast to most high and middle-income countries.
3. There is significant geographic variation in its incidence and deaths.
4. Risk factors of importance are raised total and non-HDL-C, hypertension, diabetes, tobacco, indoor pollution and unhealthy lifestyles.
5. Multifactorial approach is required to prevent and control the IHD epidemic.
6. Prevention of IHD:
a) Lifestyle modification – tobacco control, pollution, healthy diet, physical activity, yoga
b) Risk factor management – LDL cholesterol, TGs, blood pressure (BP), diabetes
c) Improving clinical inertia, adherence, control of multiple factors – combination of BP therapy + statins (polypill)
d) Long-term adherence – patient support + NPHW + Education + polypill
e) Focus on social, economic and political determinants – sustainable development goals, pollution control.
Dr. Rajeev Gupta is a Consultant Physician in C Scheme, Jaipur. Dr. Rajeev Gupta practices at KDG Medical & Dental Centre in C Scheme, Jaipur. He completed MBBS from Sardar Patel Medical College in 1976 and MD - (General Medicine) from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh in 1979.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Filter out the noise and nurture your inbox with health and wellness advice that's inclusive and rooted in medical expertise.
Medtalks is India's fastest growing Healthcare Learning and Patient Education Platform designed and developed to help doctors and other medical professionals to cater educational and training needs and to discover, discuss and learn the latest and best practices across 100+ medical specialties. Also find India Healthcare Latest Health News & Updates on the India Healthcare at Medtalks
Please update your details