1. LDL-C is universally accepted as a major driver of atherosclerosis. Higher the baseline LDL, the higher the risk.
2. Low and very low LDL levels are safe/effective in reducing CV events further, as shown by PCSK9 trials. Target LDL-C must be achieved in all patients with ASCVD.
3. Lifestyle interventions remain the mainstay of management.
4. High-dose statin is the first-line of therapy. Add ezetimibe in patients, not on goal. Either alone or in combination with statins, PCSK9 inhibitors reduce LDL by 60%.
5. Bempedoic acid may be added if LDL-C reduction is required after statins and ezetimibe. PCSK9 inhibitor is indicated in selected patients.
Prof Dr. Vimal Mehta is the Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer at BioXcel Therapeutics & CEO, Chairman and Co-Founder. He Published a State of art paper in the Archives of Medical Science reviewing Pulmonary hypertension in left heart disease. Dr. Mehta holds a Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Delhi, India and completed a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in chemistry at the University of Montpellier, France.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Filter out the noise and nurture your inbox with health and wellness advice that's inclusive and rooted in medical expertise.
Medtalks is India's fastest growing Healthcare Learning and Patient Education Platform designed and developed to help doctors and other medical professionals to cater educational and training needs and to discover, discuss and learn the latest and best practices across 100+ medical specialties. Also find India Healthcare Latest Health News & Updates on the India Healthcare at Medtalks
Please update your details